Any other mom’s out there feel this way? No? Just me??!
I swear I look around me and the other mom’s out there just seem to have their shit together all the time. I understand that it is just a glimpse, a snapshot, of their day, but I feel so frazzled all the time! And I swear you can see it on my physical being, you know?! Like when you decide not to put your face on for a day and people are all, “are you not feeling well?” And you’re all, “Well, I was feeling fine, but now I feel a little shitty, but thanks.” Except instead of sick I just look frazzled- I feel as though people look at me and think, “Man, she needs a break… or a shot… or a massage… something!”
Here’s my week day dash:
- 5:20- alarm wakes me up… kinda (SNOOZE)
- 5:30- for real, get your ass up alarm.
- 5:35-6:35- YOGA (I love this part of my day, the quiet, the dark, the focus on JUST ME)
- 6:35-7:10- Shower and dress myself. Husband wakes up and starts breakfast.
- 7:00-7:20- Dress kids and get them to the breakfast table.
- 7:20-7:45- eat breakfast, pack up lunches, get Tucker to pee before getting in the car, change Sage’s diaper for school, get in the car.
- 7:50- Drive to kid’s school
- 8:00-8:15- hang out in the pick-up line. We usually sing songs or watch half and episode of Daniel Tiger.
- 8:15-8:30- BUST MY ASS TO GET TO MY JOB WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO REPORT BY 8… Heaven forbid there be traffic because I might ram someone.
- 8:30-8:40- get myself organized and caffeinated before the kids pour into my classroom.
- 8:40-12:50- TEACH all the kids all the things all without food or water because when the hell do I have time to get to the bathroom?!?
- 12:50-1:40- LUNCH (and usually some kid making up an assignment or just hanging out in my room because I am not mean enough to tell them to GTFO)
- 1:45-3:10- Teaching again
- 3:10-4:00- Getting everything ready for class the next day (Copies, grading, teacher meetings, etc)
- 4:00-4:20- Drive home
- 4:20-5:20- unpack lunches and school bags, clean coffee pot, straighten up kitchen, take care of diapers (we do cloth, yes, I realize I could simplify things by going to disposable but Climate Change), get bags ready for next day, help get kids to clean up some toys (or not, because “I’m still playing!!!”), snuggle kids, wipe runny noses, you know… mom stuff. SOMETIMES we do a family walk during this time (but that is not nearly as picturesque or calming as it sounds, I promise).
- 5:20-5:45- Prep dinner while kids scream, yell, bother each other until someone is crying and I’m about to go bat-shit crazy (or, I turn on a show… whew, quiet).
- 5:45-6:30ish- eat dinner and clean up dinner (husband and I take turns with meals and clean up)
- 6:30-7:00- Bathe kids and get them in PJ’s (Other parent finishes cleaning kitchen or house and toys that kids didn’t put up)
- 7:15- Story for Tucker then kisses and lights out. (Sage gets to run around like an only child for an additional 45 minutes since she naps and I put lunches together)
- 8:00- Sage goes to bed.
- 8:00-9:00— adult time… which is usually spent doing laundry or some other chore that we haven’t finished. Also, since I have 170 students and it’s English, I usually have some sort of grading to do… but I try DESPERATELY to get this done during my work day because it isn’t fair to my family otherwise. There is usually one day a week that I will have to grade for a few hours and that is always after kids are in bed.
- 9:15- lock down house, get ready for bed (shots and pills for surrogacy)
- 9:30- my head hits the pillow and I’m usually asleep not long after (unless I am not done grading!)
Someone tell me it gets easier? And if not, how the hell did I not know this is what my death would look like????